Public Sector Litigation Lawyers
Civil Rights & Public Entity Defense in Southern California
Public entities and our public servants throughout California face risks of civil rights lawsuits every day. An allegation alone can trigger the filing of these lawsuits. Having reputable lawyers with considerable experience in defending public entities in these types of cases is critical.
- Our attorneys can defend public entities against a wide range of lawsuits, including those involving:
- Civil rights
- Wrongful termination
- Personal injury
- Premises liability
- Property damage
Our police officers, deputy sheriffs, and other law enforcement officers try their very best day in and day out to protect our citizenry, and to keep good order in our society. We have rightfully given them the power of arrest, detention, and investigation within the bounds of the law.
Unfortunately, these officers are still subjected to having their lawful actions challenged, their sound investigations attacked, and their good name defamed.
- We have an outstanding record of defending these officers and their departments in civil rights cases purportedly grounded or labeled as:
- Police misconduct
- Warrantless Arrest
- Prisoner abuse and neglect
- Police officer perjury
- Detainee abuse
- Unlawful Arrest
- Excessive Force
- Unlawful Pursuit
- False Imprisonment
- Fraudulent warrants and statements
- Illegal search and seizure
Children's/Adult Protective Services Litigation
We have extensive experience defending children’s protective services agencies in civil rights litigation arising out of:
- Child abuse and neglect investigations
- The taking of children into protective custody without a warrant based on “exigency”
- The placement of children into foster homes or shelter care
- The preparation and submission of detention reports
- Jurisdiction and disposition reports
- Procurement of protective custody warrants
- The management and supervision of children under the Welfare and Institutions Code Section 300 et seq framework
Southern California litigation attorneys routinely litigate WIC Section 827 petitions, protective orders, and disposition
matters and frequently defend children’s protective services in
42 U.S.C. Section 1983 litigation.
Employment Discrimination Defense
Smith Law Offices, LLP is proud of its reputation and aggressive representation in defending public entities when it comes to employment discrimination claims. Laid off or terminated public employees oftentimes bring civil rights suits under the Civil Rights Act, the U.S. Constitution, the California Constitution, and a host of available state and federal statutes. Usually labeled as harassment, discrimination, or retaliation, these claims and lawsuits can significantly disrupt the critical operations and workings of our government.
Having an aggressive and experienced litigation team ready and able to seek an early dismissal, to properly position the case for a dispositive motion for summary judgment, or charge forward towards trial is the best answer to these claims.
- Our attorneys handle the myriad of civil rights claims public entities face in the workplace including:
- Title VII and EEOC claims
- Discrimination based on age, gender, sexual orientation, medical and physical condition, ethnicity and race, harassment, wrongful termination, denial of benefits, and religion
Call our offices today at (951) 801-5774 to get started.